Friday, November 9, 2012

Christmas Decorations ...on a budget.

These are some of the crafts that I made last year (at least the ones that turned out well) with supplies needed lists.  I wanted to share some Very nice looking ideas when you have only a few supplies on hand. 


Old Book Pages Wreath

This is one of my favorite / most proud crafts at the finish!  I was able to find old books for FREE at the church library here in Chiang Mai, Thailand.  

Here is the You Tube video for a tutorial.

And here is my finished product!


Supplies Needed:
1. Old Book Pages
2. Uhu glue or Glue gun
3. Stapler & staples
4. Cardboard
5. Ornaments/decorative "something"

I put some cheap Christmas tree ornaments that I had bought at the store randomly in the middle of the wreath.  I think what I like best about this wreath is that it has character because of the age of the pages. 



Fabric Balls

This one I was a little bit skeptical of because I just couldn't believe that these fabric squares would actually stay being just "pushed" into the Styrofoam balls.   And It DID Work!



Supplies needed:
Fabric 
Scissors
Crochet needle
Styrofoam ball


1. Cut the fabric into squares, I think mine were 3-4 inches.  Note About Fabric: The nice aspect of this craft is that you can use scrap fabric that you have extra.  I had this red and white lace-y fabric and the green silk-y fabric to use for scrap...but even though it DID worked I would suggest NOT use a "slippery" fabric.  

2. Take a square of fabric and put the non-hook end of the crochet needle in the middle of the square and push it into the Styrofoam ball about 1/2 inch.  Pull needle out and the fabric should stay in the ball.  

3. 1 by 1 push each square into the ball, work in a line around the ball.  Working in lines help keep the ball looking full.  By the end you will be just filling in a few "holes".  

Here is the You Tube video where I learned the technique.

And here is my finished product...




















3D Snowflake

Lastly this has been a great craft for the past few years for me.  Last year it was a great one for creating snow here in warm Thailand!

Supplies Needed:
1. Paper (any thickness & any color)
2. Scissors
3. Stapler & staples
4. String to hang it

Even though mine is a plain white, you can be so creative with this one because of using any color/pattern paper and making them any size from large like mine or smaller!


Here is a You Tube video to learn how to make this.  

HAVE FUN & HAPPY CHRISTMAS CRAFTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment